Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Miracles in Routine

I really despise the common cold. But a summer cold just adds insult to injury! Monday I woke up with the symptoms of a doozie. There's something about a cold that tends to turn me into a "90 pound" something--a real whiner. So Monday was quite challenging as I somewhat miserably gathered the gear I need to help me make a run at this and whittle it down a bit. With a healthy portion of God's grace and a lot of stubborn perseverance, I actually managed to have a productive day.

I think there may be an analogy to Christian life in the way we must gear-up to fight the symptoms of a head cold. Maybe Ephesians 6:12? Thought: Maybe someone out there is interested and creative enough to take on that challenge? If you want to take a stab at it please send me a copy of your thoughts. I'll see that it's published for the enjoyment of the masses.

Today and yesterday were shop days for me. I'm working on furniture, e.g., click here. It's become increasingly clear to me that somehow I need to get more space---to do the "magic" things I do in the shop. All those tired albeit quality furniture pieces, heirlooms and antiques sure appreciate it. (Yup, they tell me so.) I get pretty excited about this stuff. When I can make people happy with the outcomes it's doubly satisfying. But I do need more space. Does anybody have a space-expanding Genie Lamp laying around, one that I can borrow? I'll return it promptly.

Earlier this afternoon I had the shop doors open. Several pieces from a marvelous 1930's vintage cherry dresser (with a secretary!) were variously "spilled" out the doors and arranged for last minute surface preparation and spraying. Then a "Ker-Booooom!" from a not too distant northwesterly direction prompted a scurry of not-so-welcome retrieval activity. Oh well....(anybody got that Genie?). I learned later in the evening there were over 3000 ground to cloud lightning strikes accompanying that storm. Amazing stuff.

What did I see around me today the prompted my awareness of God's presence? Actually, I think I felt HIS presence in the doting attention of our dog Gandalf. I contemplated HIS perspective--he was also a carpenter--as I faced challenges in the shop. I sensed HIS presence in text messages I received from a friend. I felt HIM in camaraderie as I met a good friend for lunch. I sensed HIM in the spontaneous rehearsal of scriptural verses and some related themes momentarily triggered in the day's conscious deliberations. I heard an expression of HIS awesome power in a summer storm. I "saw" Him late in the afternoon in my son, Jon; we shared reflections on the day then almost gone. For me these are some of the miracles in routine.

"There is no speech nor language where HIS voice is not heard" (Ps. 19:3 KJV)

Dick




Link

No comments:

Post a Comment