Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Our Gandalf is Gone

Zack with Gandalf...a happy moment
Yesterday, quite suddenly, Judi and I were forced to do the unthinkable. We had to put-down our beloved dog-friend, Gandalf. We are all grieving this huge loss...his absence. 

So today, for me, is occupied with many mini-discoveries--realizations about how much our Dog has filled even some simple places of my--and our-- life.

I headed out the door for my early morning ride, 
But he wasn't in the room as I moved to step outside. 
Nope, he wasn't there to raise that handsome, fuzzy head
And bless me on my way 
Into darkness as I sped...
Or wish my haste return 


When later, stepping up the walk,
I caught my eyes reaching, reaching, reaching...
Toward just inside the glass,
Wanting to see his happy form, 
But alas, and of course, he was not there 
As I approached the stoop this sober morn. 

Of course he was not there.
Re-opening the door,
I peered into an empty room
With second-guessing thoughts
That do not stop my heart's eyes looking, blinking...
Just wanting him to share.

Then as I stepped up my pace, 
Out back to feed our birds,
 (A favorite romp for Gandalf,)
 I missed his friendly behind-me scolding,  "Woof!," 
If I closed the door upon his face. 

But I thought I saw him, once or twice,
Cuz he'd chase around the yard. 
But no, my imagination is just hoping, hoping, hoping all to hard.

You get the idea. It's another one of our Gracious God's reminders about how it is all too easy to take our family and ALL our friends for granted. Yes, we are going to be OK...it'll just take a little while.  

I saw a fun little phrase in the vet's office yesterday morning. It read, "Dog's are miracles on four paws." Hmmm, ponder that.
And here's another:
 "A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother." Prov. 18:24, KJV

Dick






 

No comments:

Post a Comment